Writing This Year
Novels: 2 (Blood Binds the Pack and an as-yet untitled scifi novel that I finished off at the beginning of December.)
Short Stories: 1
Feature Length Scripts: 0
Other Scripts: 2 scripts written for Six to Start
Paid Reviews/Nonfiction: 4 for Tor.com, 17 for Book Riot
Editing: A couple of small paid editing gigs.
Consigned to the trunk of awfulness, never to return: None this year, maybe because I’ve been completely ignoring my short stories in favor of long stuff.
Best/Favorite story of the year: Without a doubt, it’s Blood Binds the Pack. I am so fucking proud of this novel. It did everything I wanted it to do and then some.
Magic Spreadsheet wordcount: I have been tracking on the spreadsheet since June 24, 2013.
- Total words written: 501,010 this year (1,933,798 in the last ~4.5 years)
- Average words per day: 1,373 (more than last year’s 1,276/day)
- Days in a row written: 1,651 (over 4 years without stopping)
Queries sent: 10
Rejections received: 8
Most rejections received: This year, it’s Excerpts from the Personal Journal of Dr. V. Frankenstein, MD, Department of Pathology, Our Lady of Mercy Hospital, again. But I am going to sell this story, dammit.
Total earned: $9,872.41, surpassing last year by over $2K and making this year the most I’ve earned with my writing thus far in my life. Obviously still not at a level where I could even entertain the notion of supporting myself, but it’s heartening.
Published this year:
- Hunger Makes the Wolf (Barnes and Noble, and Kobo)
- Angel of the Blockade from Tor.com (ebook version)
- Past the Black Where Call the Horns in KZine issue #19
- Comfort Food in Haunted Futures: Tomorrow is Coming
- Once Upon a Time There Was a Xurit Named Xcanda from Humans Wanted
- Six More Miles in Giganotosaurus (3/1/17)
- The Escapism of Romance (Book Riot)
- Recommended Reading for Andy Weir (Book Riot)
- 9 Space Magic Books for Fans of the Destiny Games (Book Riot)
- Reasons I didn’t finish the book you loaned me (Book Riot)
- Tolkien’s Map and the Perplexing River Systems of Middle Earth (Tor.com)
- Tolkien’s Map and the Messed Up Mountains of Middle Earth (Tor.com)
- Speculative Fiction on Tap: Revenge of the SF (Book Riot)
- Hugo Awards 2017: The Wonkening (Book Riot)
- 7 Ways to Support Your Favorite Authors (Book Riot)
- Choose a Better Chosen One (Book Riot)
- How Deadlines Put My Reading Habits into Overdrive (Book Riot)
- Star Wars: Still Disappointingly Heterosexual (Book Riot)
- What the World of The Hunger Games Teaches Us About Global Warming (Tor.com)
- Arrakis, Tatooine, and the Science of Desert Planets (Tor.com)
- Keep Your @ to Yourself (Book Riot)
- Solidarity Reading List (Book Riot)
- The Hugo Report: Finalists 2017 (Book Riot)
- SFF On Tap: Pairing Books and Beers (Book Riot) (part 1 of potentially… more than one)
- The Hollow Woman: Female Characters in Science Fiction (Book Riot)
- My Glorious Return to the Library (Book Riot)
- Books as Self Defense (Book Riot)
Slated for 2017:
- Blood Binds the Pack from Angry Robot Books (available for pre-order!)
- As yet untitled story in the Sword & Sonnet anthology
- The triumphant return of Captain Ramos from Queen of Swords Press
Goals for 2017
- Shut up and write.
- Wake up and fight.
- Write the two feature-length screenplays I’ve outlined.
- Write at least one novel, probably a fantasy novel this time around.
- Get the birthday short written, and try for a couple of others. My short story stockpile is almost nonexistent. This of course requires remembering how the hell to write short stories.
- Pitch a blog post series about geomorphology and geology for GMs.
- Find a sensitivity reader for that novella and get it done at long last.
- Read at least 60 books.
- Finally convince Bungie to let me write that Twilight Gap novel in the style of Killer Angels. I’ve got to have an impossible dream on this list every year, right?
- I DID get Blood Binds the Pack to Angry Robot, well-written and on time.
- Destiny 2 has turned me into a Striker and I don’t know how I feel about that.
- Started reading romance novels in earnest this year, as a form of escapism. No regrets.
- According to my list on Goodreads, I read 94 books this year. Having a library card really helped push this. Though as a note, some of the “books” are actually short stories/novellettes/etc from the Hugo reading list that were still listed on Goodreads.
- I went to Finland and Iceland this year. And despite the fact that I was incredibly sick for most of that trip, in Iceland I WENT DOWN INTO A MOTHERFUCKING VOLCANO YOU HEARD ME RIGHT.
- The Last Jedi is officially my favorite Star Wars film.
- This is the year I started vlogging as an experiment. Still having fun with it.